Skip to main content

Marco Rubio speaks some truth on immigration

I'm too lazy to look up his biography. But someone in Rubio's family immigrated to the US. So he probably has some sort of understanding of the mindset of immigrants, which is why he can say this:

“Many people who come here illegally are doing exactly what we would do if we lived in a country where we couldn’t feed our families,” Rubio writes in his book, which went on sale Tuesday. “If my kids went to sleep hungry every night and my country didn’t give me an opportunity to feed them, there isn’t a law, no matter how restrictive, that would prevent me from coming here.”

That's why I have sympathy for "illegal" immigrants who are technically breaking the law by not coming to the US through the proper channels. There is no fundamental difference between me and a kid born to poverty in Mexico. Neither of us chose to be born in the place we were born. If we were given a choice we'd both choose the US. If I were born into a poor family in Mexico I would probably do what Rubio says and do what I could to move to the relatively close rich country.

I applaud Rubio for saying this and generally trying to make good decisions on immigration policy. But the reason he has to bash Obama for not working with him on the DREAM act is because his fellow Republicans can't recognize what Rubio does and what I've talked about a lot on this blog, that you don't choose where you're born and what family you're born to. Everything to Republicans is pure individualism. And that's why they often act like they don't care about immigrants.

Comments