Skip to main content

Batman v. Superman can't get here quick enough

"They cast Ben Affleck as Batman!?"

"Zack Snyder is directing a Batman movie?"

"Why is the trailer for Batman v. Superman so DARK and SERIOUS? Why doesn't DC make jokes in movies like MARVEL?"

If I have to listen to that for another 2 months I might just


I'm not saying you can't judge a movie by its trailer, its casting, or its director. I mean, I know right away I won't like a movie if it stars Adam Sander. But I think Batman v. Superman is getting unfairly maligned. And I'm worried that if people go in with too many preconceived notions about the movie it will blind them as to the actual quality of the movie (Like what happened with Man of Steel, people wanted the Donner movie and were mad when they didn't get it).

There are legit criticisms of Zack Snyder's directing and Ben Affleck's acting/role choices. Snyder arguably directs for style over substance. I think all of his movies that I've seen look interesting. But I don't think I've ever loved any of them because the story wasn't great. I don't think many would say that Affleck is as good an actor as the previous Batman, Christian Bale. But he's far from a bad actor. I'd argue he's pretty charismatic when given the chance. And he's arguably gotten better since he started directing.

So it's not like Snyder and Affleck are without talent or have earned an instant shit rating like an Adam Sandler. And given the freakouts about casting we saw after Michael Keaton, Heath Ledger, and Anne Hathaway, you'd think we might wait a bit to make judgements. But alas, I'll likely have to endure another two months of this before I finally get to enjoy seeing Batman in a movie again.

Comments