Skip to main content

Captain America: Civil War review

No spoilers

Avengers part 3 Captain America: Civil War is typical Marvel in every way. It's fun, funny, well-enough-executed, a bit overstuffed, and a plot not really tied up that well in service of future movies. It seems to have the same cinematography and score as the others. Though don't see this in 3D, completely useless and even makes a lot of the early fight scenes tough to follow.

What it does unquestionably better than BvS (which for some reason I haven't reviewed here, probably because I put my thoughts on twitter) is coherent editing and a nice narrative flow. I like BvS but there no getting around the fact it lacks there (maybe the director's cut saves it, idk). The tone is so different than BvS. Every other line has to be a joke, though now they don't have Joss Whedon so it's not the same. But some of the actors make up for it (mainly Rudd, Robert Downey Jr.'s schtick is a little stale).

Maybe I need another viewing but I'm not convinced it handles it's themes better than BvS. They are very similar. And the main characters even invoke some of the same things in their most emotional moments. And maybe this is just me, but those moments suffer because the tone is so fun and funny all the time. Whereas with something like BvS or the Nolan movies, the tone is serious and emotional all the time so I guess I'm more primed for it when shit goes down.

Anyway, Civil War is classic Marvel with even more fun characters thrown in. But while being classic Marvel it limits itself by not seeing their big ideas all the way through and still setting up more movies. I'll forgive that this time because one of those movies will have Marisa Tomei. #TeamAuntMay

Comments