Skip to main content

Today in "Crazy Things Santorum Said"

Here is the latest:

On the president’s efforts to boost college attendance, Santorum said, “I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely ... The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country.”

He claimed that “62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it,” but declined to cite a source for the figure. And he floated the idea of requiring that universities that receive public funds have “intellectual diversity” on campus.

So the president wants kids to go to college so that they can be indoctrinated. Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with being able to get a job and or just be able to function in society.

He does have a point though. I'm not sure what the real number is, but some good christians do go to college and come out as nihilistic, immoral non-christians. I'm one of those people. But it's not because of indoctrination or. It's because I left the sheltered life that I lived in with my parents to be on my own in a place that had different people with different views (In my case it really did have to do with reading Marx and the like. But it was because different point of views got me to think. It wasn't that I was gently coerced into believing those things. Being taught how to think isn't indoctrination.) The real indoctrination is the sheltered life many christians live in with their parents.

I wasn't given a choice as to whether I would be a catholic or a christian. It was simply a matter of that was what my mother was, thus that was how I would be raised. It was both an accident of birth and indoctrination on my parent's part. If I were born in Iran instead of Tennessee I would have been raised a muslim. If my parents were mormon instead of catholic I would I have been raised a mormon. Being taken to only one church and one catholic school as a kid is vastly more indoctrinating than anything going on at even the worst of the worst "liberal" college in this country.

But Santorum doesn't have a problem with that because the indoctrination we experience as kids leads to people believing what he does. So Santorum doesn't really want a free society in which people can be exposed to different people and views. He just wants one where everyone is indoctrinated into being a christian like him and holding only the views that he does.

Comments