Skip to main content

Newt Gingrich: I can't hold back any longer

Newt is a piece of work. I haven't said much about him because so many other people do a great job of pointing out how terrible and ridiculous he is. And until South Carolina he was a fringe candidate. I still don't think he will win the nomination. There just seems like too many Republican leaders and voters who don't trust him, even more than they don't trust Romney.

But while he is battling Romney he is getting a lot of coverage. So I can't really avoid him and the crazy shit he says. This latest one caught my eye and I couldn't resist giving my thoughts:

GINGRICH: It’s pretty simple: marriage is between a man and a woman. This is a historic doctrine driven deep into the Bible, both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament, and it’s a perfect example of what I mean by the rise of paganism. The effort to create alternatives to marriage between a man and a woman are perfectly natural pagan behaviors, but they are a fundamental violation of our civilization.

So by Newt's logic, pagans aren't civilized or part of our civilization. That's news to this pagan. I'm pretty sure that earlier today I ran a few errands and applied for a job in the civilization people around here call east Memphis. I didn't seem to bother anyone or cause problems with my paganism. But maybe I'm just good at blending in.

Seriously though, that statement is so completely blind to the 1st amendment and the idea of freedom of thought and freedom of religion that it boggles the mind. So fucking what if the bible talks about marriage as between a man and a woman. As it's stated in the 1st amendment, the bible doesn't have any bearing on our law. And if our civilization and law was based on what the bible established way back in history, at least one of Newt's wives would have been stoned for being an adulterer.

The constitution and our law is what holds together our civilization, not the bible, or any conception Newt has of morality. But don't expect Newt or any other Republican to understand that. They have no knowledge of or respect for what our constitution actually says. But the thing Newt tries to do is to frame his bullshit in technical language instead of the blatantly crazy language most other Republicans use. While I would love for him to run so that Democrats have a better chance of winning their elections in 2012. I also don't want to risk Newt actually winning and being given a huge forum in which he can spout off hit crap.

Comments