Skip to main content

How I Met Your Mother: Barney's bride

This post will contain spoilers for the two episode season finale.

My initial reaction to Robin being the bride at Barney's wedding is this is why you don't drag a series out just because it's getting you good ratings. In the first episode of the finale Robin tells Ted how dumb he is for pursuing unavailable women, herself being one of them because she told him from day 1 that she didn't want to get married and have kids. We've been reminded of this by Robin on a very consistent basis. And now it looks like they are going to spend an entire season undoing Barney's engagement to Quinn and coming up with excuses for Robin changing her mind.

You could kind of see this coming, at least in retrospect. The first episode of this season showed Ted being called for by Barney's bride. The bride would only call for Ted if she really knew him well. And they haven't established any sort of relationship with Quinn and Ted this season. So it didn't make sense that it would be Quinn asking for him on her wedding day. But given their friendship and the fact that they are both friends with Barney it would make a lot of sense if Robin wanted to talk to Ted on her wedding day. And as I type that I realize that she probably has some explaining to do since as I said, she has constantly told Ted she didn't want to get married.

I don't not like the Ted and Victoria thing as much as the Robin and Barney thing. But just like Robin and Barney it feels forced to have Victoria leave her fiance at the alter to run off with Ted, who she hasn't been in a relationship with in several years and who cheated on her when they were together last. This feels like something they thought up in order to justify spending another entire seasons with these characters. And I'm finally getting tired of it. I adore Alyson Hannigan and like Jason Segel. But their characters are stale and I could care less about their new baby. I guess next season we are going to get a bunch of cliche crap with their baby and hopefully at least a reasonable resolution to this Victoria thing and some growth on Ted's part.

Who the hell knows what they are going to do in order to get Robin to backtrack on a huge part of her character and get her and Barney together, much less Quinn and Barney apart. I'm not a big an of Quinn. So I don't mind that aspect of it. But I think a big reason why I don't like the idea of Robin and Barney is because Barney isn't redeemable enough as a character. He doesn't deserve Robin. So he stopped screwing every woman he could. What a marvelous display of self restraint. That doesn't make you awesome enough for Robin.

Another reason I don't like it is because I guess I never really bought them as a couple in the first place. That's the thing about Robin. She is just too much her own person to click with another person like Lily and Marshall do. And I think the only reason she was with Barney was because she knew he was emotionally unavailable and didn't want a relationship just like she didn't. Aside from that the only thing they have in common is that they are good looking. Even then they were forcing it in order to draw out the series and have shit to write about. And I guess by doing that they almost forced themselves into this situation. I just hope they finally end it and have Ted meet his wife. Because they have officially run out of decent ideas. Maybe they ran out a while ago and I'm just now realizing it.

Comments