Skip to main content

What constitutional conservatism really looks like

I don't have a link for this because I saw it on the Colbert Report. Stephen was talking about all of the voting fraud accusations and voter id laws that are being passed in order to supposedly prevent these "frauds". He played a clip of some guy who founded the tea part nation. Basically what the guy said was only people who own property should be able to vote because those people have more of a vested interest in the gov't.

I'll give you a moment to process that.

Ok then. How fucking ridiculous is that? I'll give him points for not being a hypocrite and actually sticking to wanting to do what the founders did. But that just highlights how ridiculous the whole notion of constitutional conservatism and blind worship of the founders is. I don't think I need to flesh out the problems with his statement at length. Hopefully you understand how freaking insane this guy is. I just want to point to the last part of it. Chances are that if you don't own property, you have a more vested interest in what the gov't does than the typical American family. The fact that this guy has the audacity to propose this and then try to justify it by saying people who don't own stuff don't have a vested interest in public policy tells you all you need to know about the tea party.

Comments