Skip to main content

Update on the storms in the mid south

I woke up for the second time in three days to tornado warning sirens. It turns out that all of the sirens in Shelby county are linked together. So if one little part of the county is under a warning then every siren in the county goes off.

Today the southeastern corner of the county was under a tornado warning. So the rest of us got to hear a solid 15 minutes of a siren, which is about a 10 minute walk from my house. Its slightly odd that the sirens would be linked considering it would take me at least an hour to drive from Millington in the northern part of the county to Collierville in the part part of the county they had the warning today.

But I guess its better safe than sorry. While I haven't heard of any tornadoes touching down or causing any damage around the Memphis area we did get a ton of rain and I know the Mississippi is running very high.

What I'd like to know is why we are getting so much severe weather lately. Is this a symptom of global warming? Or is it just a slightly increase in severe activity? I ask because I don't recall seeing this much severe weather on this frequent a basis. If this is the beginning of a trend I hope the damage is limited. I also hope we can get some sort of movement on global warming policies even if this weather isn't a result of it.

Comments