Skip to main content

My newfound respect for the restaurant industry's employees

Just worked a 12 hour day at my new job, which is likely to be my former job pretty soon. My feet have killed me every day I've worked. There is ZERO break whatsoever. No five minute break to sit down and rest your feet and back. And of course, if you aren't doing something for more than 30 seconds at a time the place might cave in and swallow everyone whole. I swear they must teach a course in business school called "How to treat your employees like a bunch of fucking children and make them think you're an asshole", because everywhere I've worked and most people I've heard from have had this experience.

And to me it doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't seem efficient to have your employees dislike you and always feel on edge. I was talking to one of the other employees that had been there for a while and I think he made a good point when he said it's about power. They know demand is fairly high for their jobs so they don't really have to worry about pissing people off and having them quit. This is also why so many restaurants pay shitty wages and skim off the top of tips. I always thought that was unfair. Now I'm absolutely certain it is. And I'm more certain than ever that a libertarian style free market approach to stuff like this would be a disaster for employees.

So to the people who tolerate or even like these types of jobs, I solute you for your hard work. And I hope more attention will get paid to some of the bullshit you have to deal with. I'm off to try and get to bed since I have to wake up in 7 hours and possibly work all day tomorrow. We'll see. I must just pull a Cartman after the first shift and say, "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Comments