Skip to main content

James Madison

I was reading a post on The Daily Dish about a 19 year old girl who is a massive over achiever who started a website in honor of her hero James Madison. My first thought was, wow, this girl is awesome. My second thought was that such a website is sorely needed. Click here for the site. Here is an exert:

James Madison was perhaps the wisest of the Founding Fathers of the United States. As an author of its Constitution, The Federalist Papers and the Bill of Rights, he provided both the intellectual framework and rigorous analysis that were essential ingredients to organizing the nation's government.

That's quite the resume. He didn't even want to right the Bill of Rights. He thought it was unnecessary. But he did so in order to get the anti-Federalists on board with the Constitution.

Most people don't know much about Madison. I didn't know anything until I took an American Political Thought class as an undergrad at UT Knoxville. Actually, I got into political science because of the intro class that I had in which we read about the Constitution, which of course Madison wrote and along with Alexander Hamilton was the strongest advocate for ratification. So even before I was fully aware of him it was Madison who sparked my interest in political science.

Once I read some of the Federalist Papers and some background on him he became one of my favorite thinkers. The more I read about him the more I appreciate what he did to establish the type of gov't we have, which despite its problems is probably the most freedom enhancing the world has seen.

So I fully endorse the site and its efforts and those who think James Madison's accomplishments should be made more well known to the American people who benefit from them.

Comments